Welcome to my page of Gluten Free Living... I hope you enjoy the recipes we have figured out and feel free to give any suggestions!!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

'Miracle' Honey Oatmeal Bread-GF


This bread recipe originated from a favorite wheat bread recipe. My grandpa introduced it to me and it went from being an introduction to loving homemade breads to soon becoming my first own success in baking bread. Although my sister cannot seem to master it, the bread seems to love me and it has forever been a favorite of ours for breakfast and/or snack before a track or cross country bread. Some even say it brings on "miraculous" racing performances, hence the name. :)


Regardless of the possible ability of this bread to shave minutes off a 5k, my love for its great texture and taste was one of the hardest things for me to dream of giving up when I was diagnosed with celiac's disease. So, after several failed attempts and careful studying of other GF recipes, I converted my Miracle Bread to be gluten free. This final recipe not only captures the delectable taste of the original recipe, but also the chewy oaty texture (very normal tasting!)

Let me know what you think, and I hope you enjoy!

1 pkg yeast
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 c honey
1 T canola oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 c + 1 T warm water


In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the liquid ingredients. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5 bread pan. Grease one side of a piece of plastic wrap and cover the bread with this side down. Place in a warm area and let rise for 30-50 minutes or doubled in size.

Remove plastic wrap and place in oven at 350 F. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200 F. After first 10 minutes, cover with foil to keep crust from getting too dark.

1 comment:

  1. I found this recipe on Food.com and found you through the recipe. I made this bread tonight and it was a huge success. I am the only one who has to eat gluten free in my family of 10, but I do try to make gluten free dinners every night. I made this to go along with a Hamburger, vegetable and rice stew I make. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete