Welcome to my page of Gluten Free Living... I hope you enjoy the recipes we have figured out and feel free to give any suggestions!!

Monday, May 18, 2009

About Me


About a year ago, my mom was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue Disease and told she would have to take on a gluten free diet. I had taken her to the hospital that day to get her endoscopy and was quite enjoying giggling at her with the loopy lingering effects of anesthesia when the doctor came in to tell us the results. She giggled when he told us, looked at me and said, "Erin, you might want to remember that celiac-whatever because I know I wont." Soon, we both knew more about flours and digestive tracts that we couldlve ever imagined. Because of the highly genetic component of the disease, my older sister and I also soon went in to get tested and sure enough, we had high amounts of inflammation and the beginnings of the signs of gluten intolerance.

Over the next few months, our little family of three went through the process of transfering over ways of cooking, shopping, and even thinking about foods. As a family of runners, we were the self-proclaimed "Carb Queens" who chow on pasta and bake homemade breads weekly for our morning breakfasts. My mom switched over to the total gluten free diet right away, but my sister and I, both running competitively for saginaw valley state university thought the sudden diet change mid season may be negative on our performance. We continued to experiment with her, however and as soon as cross country and track were finished, we welcomed the digestive relief of going GF.

Now, it is hard to imagine that I put up with the discomfort and pain for so long! While I do miss some of my favorite wheat-haunts and the assurance that I could experiment with breads and not have the chance of ending up with a jellied, hard rock, the relief and happiness felt now is WAY worth it. Plus, finding new favorites and tricks has been relatively easy due to the abundance of fellow GF bloggers. So, in tribute to those who helped (and continue to do so) me so much, I decided it was time for me to post myself out there in the chance that I too could help someone else. So whether you are newly diagnosed or merely looking for something new and different, I hope you enjoy my recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment